JOB TITLE: Editorial Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Children's Publishing
REPORTS TO: Publishing Director
With minimal supervision, assists Publishing Team in research, planning and writing of Children’s ministry projects and curriculum (Sunday School and VBS).
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
• Assist in planning, creating, writing, editing and checking of Children’s ministry projects and curriculum resources (SS and VBS) under minimal supervision of the Senior Managing Editor and Publishing Director.
• Attend and participate in product and lesson brainstorming meetings.
• Assist Senior Managing Editor in creating lesson files, checking copy and preparing manuscripts to move through the editorial process until products are in print.
• Construct mock-ups, dummies and prototypes as assigned for editorial team.
• Write and edit copy as assigned using In Design, Quark and Microsoft Word.
• Organize and maintain curriculum and scrap art files (hard copies and server files) for products in process.
• Manage the distribution of manuscripts for evaluation by inside and outside readers and consultants.
• Make corrections to manuscript based on proofreading comments and other editorial changes.
• Participate in the development of photo shoots as assigned.
• Assist Publishing Director in meeting planning, follow up and general administrative duties as assigned.
• Interface with public under direction of the Senior Managing Editor and Publishing Director.
• Be actively involved in teaching at the age level for which he/she is developing materials.
Intellectual: Technical Writing Skills, Problem Solving, Project Management
Interpersonal: Interpersonal skills, Written Communication, Team Work, Oral
Communication: Team worker with sense of diplomacy. Ability to work with all personality types.
Leadership: High Quality Standards, Infectious Enthusiasm for role,
Organization: Business Acumen, Cost Consciousness, Diversity, Superior Ethics, Highly Organized
Self-Management: Adaptability to multiple projects, Dependability for on time completion of tasks, Attendance/Punctuality, Initiative, Motivation,
Professionalism, Planning/Organizing, Innovation, Ability to self organize and schedule work effectively, meeting all critical deadlines.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor’s degree in English or related field.
• Bible knowledge with ability to interpret, understand and apply scriptural references.
• Skill in use of Bible study tools.
• Regular teaching experience in class or group situations with students at appropriate age level.
• Basic understanding of Gospel Light educational philosophy and style.
• Knowledge of Christian education.
• Understanding of differing theological and doctrinal positions of the denominations we serve.
• Excellent grammar, punctuation and spelling skills.
• Creative writing and written communication skills.
• Strong oral communication skills and presentation skills
• Proofreading skills.
Ability to manage simple math skills, including keeping track of budgets and expenditures.
Common sense skills and ability to think and reason like a teacher
Computer proficiency with specific knowledge of Windows PC’s and Microsoft Office Suite. Particularly with Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.
Certificates and Licenses:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Modular office environment
- Smoking allowed outdoors only
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Perform computer work; input to computer for approximately 95% of the workday.
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds.
- Sit for approximately 95% of the workday
- Travel – none.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Editorial Assistant will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.